





We arrived in Kyiv with a sigh of relief. Our flights were relatively uneventful and we arrived at the appointed time to meet our translator/guide (Konstantin) at a flower stand outside of the customs area. After navigating the incredibly packed airport parking lot, he took us to the downtown area and dropped us off at our apartment. We are living on a side street, about three blocks west of the main street. Our apartment is small, but comfortable with working a/c, hot water and a washing machine. We also apparently live in a "tourist" destination as the apartment has the smallest working elevator in the Eastern Block (according to Konstantin -- see photo above). It only fit two bags and our guide; Phil and I had to take the stairs when we arrived. It is about the size of a double sleeping bag and you can barely turn sideways in it.
We spent the first afternoon trying to make up for not getting much sleep on the flight. That evening I went shopping with K and his wife for groceries. We need not have worried about having access to soap, etc.... this place was stocked with inexpensive and sophisticated food and household items--a Ukrainian version of Target. A couple differences include a whole aisle of vodka, mushroom flavored potato chips and a huge selection of "help-yourself" bins with scoops for frozen items from fish sticks to green beans. Yesterday we spent the day walking downtown and getting our money changed. They don't use banks--just currency shops. The exchange rate is approx. 1 US dollar to 5 UAH. It has been beautiful weather and the town is made for walking.
-Robin
[Phil writing now] One thing I should mention is how strange it is to be in a city where everyone is speaking this language that I translate every day, and yet it's the first time I've been in a Russian-speaking country. Therefore I'm constantly trying to talk Russian to waitresses, shop clerks, etc., and the first day they were all answering back in English or not answering at all. Things have improved, however, and I've had some nice chances to practice my Russian. In fact, the w-fi equipped restaurant we're in is great because the waitress speaks Russian to me and English to Robin. I think she knows I want to practice.
What else to tell... Oh yeah, we flooded our bathroom this morning because we have an ancient washing machine that you have to place the drain pipe in the toilet. No, really. We didn't know this, so we set the cycle to run, went out and got a latte, and came home to find 2 inches of water in the bathroom. It took us an hour to clean up. What a disaster.
The city is beautiful, the weather is warm but not too humid, and the people are almost uniformally attractive (at least the women are). Around the tourist areas the service people are aloof, but as you move even a few blocks from the main drag they become much more friendly.
Okay, I'll let Robin write a bit more before sign off:
[Robin]
Some of the pictures we will post include Phil showing how small our loft bedroom is (he has to crouch to get into the room); children taking pony rides through a beautiful park near our apartment (Park Shevchenka); and the funny Ukranian "hut" restaurant we ate at last night. It looked like something out of Hansel and Gretel (minus the witch). We are making our way here and I think it will get easier everyday. Today we bought a skillet (laugh while you can, but I swear I wish I hadn't pulled that out of my bag to save space), a knife and a bottle opener to increase our ability to live comfortably in our apartment. Phil's Russian is definitely coming in handy and I was so proud to see him ordering our dinner last night and my latte this morning. The woman at the coffee shop actually asked him if he had his "discount card" --not a word he knew, btw, but I think a nice acknowledgement for his ability to fit in here.
We have our appointment tomorrow at 10 a.m. Wish us luck!
12 comments:
ahhh, so good to hear from you guys and to know that you are getting settled in your new digs -- looks like a charming spot! best luck tomorrow -- can't wait for the full report! and Robin -- what?? no "skillet in a suitcase?!!" those instincts of yours never fail! much love, carmen
We are pleased the trip went well and the digs are pleasant. Thanks for the pictures and the writing.
We look forward to hearing more about everyday life in the Kiev(sic}. Forgot the new spelling!
Was there any news there about the Ukrainian riders in the Tour De France?
What do people think about our government's exploits in the middle east?
Can you get a International Herald Tribune in English?
More questions later. Some may be fill in the blank or multiple choice.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love to you.
Mom and Dad
Yay! So glad you got there ok! Love the pictures. Can't wait to 'hear' more.
Love, Hilary
Thanks for the update. Lola has enjoyed drooling on the screen while I have been reading in bed. oh there's nothing like flooding a room to remind you of home :) Miss you!
good news this morning. details later today
I vote that you stay away from the mushroom-flavored potato chips. And I love that you bought a skillet - too funny. Don't worry, we haven't burned down the office or canceled the Scientific Sessions...yet. Be safe and we're thinking of you!
Andrea
Hi guys! Glad to hear you made the trip safe and sound. Thanks for the photos. Can't wait to see more and hear your good news. Don't worry about work...not that you are!
mad
This blog business was a great idea: I'm happy to be able to hear how things are going. Sounds like they're proceeding very well (save the bit about the bathroom flooding)--I'll be sending lots of love and well-wishes your way for the big hurdles that await! Much love to you both. -m
Wow, this is fun to read. And look at (your place seems nicer than mine!) I think mushroom-flavored chips sound tasty to boot. Can't wait for the next update...glenn
ps: And sorry for my 'no skillet' vote! Robin you were right!
Love your blog. The photos and updates allows us to follow along with you on this great adventure and await your next report. Our constant prayers are with you as you move forward. We love you. Dad and Linda
We didn't check in with you until Monday, when I wondered who "K" was. I thought you'd been contacted by some ultra secret agent, until I read backwards and found he was just Konstantin. What intrigue!
We're fascinated with your adventure and keeping our fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Love, Sharon and Robert
Hi! So glad to hear your travels went smoothly and that you're settling in. Paul and I thought about you daily while in Maine. Mushroom-flavored potato chips sound much tastier than the lobster-flavored ice cream we encountered (but did not dare to try) in Bar Harbor! :)
Lots of love, Susan (and Paul)
Post a Comment