Friday, September 21, 2007

SDA Appointment Day



Photo: The judge on "Hour of Justice". We were pleased to see that it still comes on at 6:00 every night.


[Robin]
We came bearing nine roses. K called us as we walked up to the SDA office and asked us to stop by and buy some flowers....we assumed this was a good sign. This time we were led to an office with just one administrator. We were introduced (she was not one of the two people we had met on our previous visit) and she seemed nice. She asked Phil a few questions in Russian and then proceeded to look down at a file and tell us about a little girl and her background. To my relief it was the same information that K had sent us by email. She has just turned 4 years old. We proceeded to ask a number of questions and learned a bit more information. Her mother passed away when she was just over 1 and she has been in the orphange for under 3 years. We talked some more about her background and then the administrator let us see a picture of her as an infant. She's blonde in the picture with a nicely-shaped head and a pleasant, rosy-cheeked expression.

[Phil]
Yes, about the flowers: we were about halfway to the SDA office, hoping we would make it there a couple of minutes early, and then K called and suggested that we buy some flowers for the administrator. So we rushed to the underground mall at Independence Square and bought the roses. By then it was almost time for our appointment, so we briskly walked several blocks and arrived right at 10:01 (Robin said that if this was an American job interview we would have just blown it). In any case, the flowers went over well, and K gave her a box of chocolates.

We should receive an official referral later today, and then our plan is to take the overnight train to the Donetsk region Sunday night. Hopefully we'll visit the orphanage on Monday. Today we're going to shop for some toys and whatnot to take to the orphanage.

So we have just 2 more days and night in Kyiv. I'm not sure what we'll do with ourselves, but we may go check out their version of Oktoberfest tomorrow.

By the way, for old times'sake we're having lunch at Le Borsch. Some of the same staff are here, and they appeared to recognize us. The music they play on the stereo is also exactly the same. They need to get a new CD! There's only so many times I can hear U2's "A Man and a Woman".

[Robin]
It feels like Fall here. K said the prices on the souvenirs would be much lower at this time of year, so it looks like my suitcase may be bulging with nesting dolls (put your orders in now!) on the way home.

After our meeting at SDA we went with K to a restaurant and had some breakfast. I ordered a latte and when it arrived (and after I had already had a sip), I discovered it was actually hot chocolate. K was talking on the phone to someone else about an adoption that was having problems (I was oblivious, but Phil was listening to him speaking in Russian and about to have a heart attack thinking they were discussing our case), and we didn't know whether to let the waitress know about my drinking someone else's order or not. I drank it and it ended up being my drink; apparently this item didn't translate well on the menu.

We want everyone to know that our prayers have been answered so far and we are really feeling positive about this prospect. We can't wait to take our train ride and visit the orphanage.

On our way back to the SDA we stopped to talk to another couple (from Buffalo, NY) that K is helping. They didn't get a referral that they really wanted and are now weighing their options. K asked us to try to talk to them and so when we met them we tried to reassure them about the prospects for other children. I related some stories from blogs I had read about other couples and their experiences. I really felt for them; this whole process is like putting your hand inside a black box and hoping you will find treasure rather than getting bitten.

[Phil]
We have internet access in the apartment,so feel free to email us if you want. And of course you can always leave us comments. Glenn, I'll personally take the mushroom chips assignment. Maybe we can use them as snacks at trivia one night!

7 comments:

helenathena said...

Sounds very promising! Can't wait to read more. She sounds adorable!

Love, Helen

hiddenmickey said...

Well, everything is off to a good start. :) Your apartment view is awesome. I'd be looking out the window all the time. Your experience at SDA sounds so different from last trip. Visiting the orphanage sounds so exciting. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the trip there and the experience of meeting her. Wishing you good travels this weekend. Love, Suzi

PS, I can't wait to go home and tell the rest of the fam about your blog report! Oh, and we'd love to have a set of nesting dolls.....

Anonymous said...

Hey, Robin and Phil! It does sound like everything is going well with your trip, and I hope you will have more good news next week. The little girl sounds precious! You have been in my prayers!

-Shannon G.

Carol said...

Many thanks for the encouraging news and for the wonderful word-pictures of your adventures. It means so much for you to share this experience with all of us, and we await each update with great anticipation!

All of Team Love Lights send good thoughts and prayers, along with love and XOX's.

Nataliya said...

Congratulations on your referral! Wishing you a smooth journey without any roadblocks!

Nataliya
(SDA appointment on 11/20)

Phil and Robin said...

Hi Nataliya,

Thanks so much for your good wishes! We looked at your blog, and it seems like if anyone should be able to adopt from Ukraine, it should be you! We'll keep following your blog, and if we learn any information that might help you, we'll let you know.
Vsego khoroshego,
Phil & Robin

Anonymous said...

Dave and I are hoping for the best for you. The fact that she was with her mother for the first year of her life could be a good sign of her emotional health if she had a good mother (I'm sure you know this, but as someone who has studied child development, I am always thinking this way.) We are anxious to hear about your visit.