


[Robin]
Yes, Barb's grandmother (ha!) was in fine form this morning at the orphanage. We obeyed the rules dutifully by avoiding all playground equipment and just giving the kids sidewalk chalk and also blowing bubbles with the bubble horn. Everything was copacetic until I pulled out the cream-filled waffle cookies to give the kids as a treat. The caregiver pulled the offered treat from the hand of one of the kids and told Phil that it would make the kids sick (the dairy filling). I then had the very unpleasant task of trying to pry the cream-filled treat from Ana's grasp (did I tell you how strong she is?). The other kids started to cry when they realized they weren't going to get the treats that they had just seen with their own eyes. I about started to bawl myself. We left shortly after that incident and I comforted myself with a glass of beer at the Pizza place....I would have preferred to tell the caregiver her off, but this was NOT an option.
Colleen and I then went to the ticket booth at the hotel to try to switch her train ticket as she was sold another 4-person cabin when she wanted a deluxe with just two berths (unsuccessfully, as they were sold out) and then on to the market. We secured some toilet paper and paper towels at the market (not available in the grocery store) and then totally scored by finding a vendor selling measuring tapes (1 hrivnya---20 cents a piece!). We can now measure the girls and use this to compare to the clothes on the racks. On our way back, we then saw yet another pharmacy and I decided to try my luck with the saline solution request (hand-written in Russian by Phil). Turned out that, yes, they did have this.... out came a clear glass bottle with clear liquid inside and what looks like a beer bottle top. I took this and paid about 50 cents. When we returned to the apartment Phil confirmed that this was, indeed, saline solution. However, I might not have to use this, since Colleen is going back to Kiev tonight and she's going to look for something more like Renu, etc. when she arrives.
Since this issue with the quest for the saline solution, I've been thinking about giving people who are adopting a list of things to bring with them when they journey here. Most of the stuff has been covered in other blogs, but this would be my wish list if I could do it over again:
1) Bring a dvd player on your laptop. Bring funny movies with you so that you can have some sure laughs. I would have brought Anchorman and some old Woody Allen--Bananas!.
2) Bring a swiss army knife. You are going to apartments that may not have the following: a can opener, a knife, a wine bottle opener.
3) Bring a set of spoons/forks. I was reduced to eating yogurt with a plastic fork when no spoons could be found at the supermarket.
4) Bring lightweight jeans or pants that won't show dirt. Bring shirts, socks, etc. that can dry quickly. I brought woolite and a clothesline with clothespins and these have been very handy. No one has dryers here--everything is line dried.
5) Bring a small-sized russian dictionary. I have a "Russian in 10 minutes a day" workbook and this has been helpful, but for a quick translation or word (like at the restaurant), you really need something pocket-sized.
6) Bring two cloth/nylon bags with zippers or drawstring closures. One of these will be indispensible for carting stuff to and from the orphanage. The other will be needed to separate out your dirty laundry/giving your laundry to the hotel staff for cleaning.
7) Bring a sturdy digital camera and a flash drive.
8) People have said this in other blogs--but you really can't find books to read in English so you must lug them over here. Bring enough for six weeks (seriously).
9) Kleenex in small travel-sized individual holders and Wet Ones in the individual packs. You are going to want to stuff these in your pockets.
10) Flashlight. We've had two apartments now where you can't see the door locks at night without the aid of a light.
11) Crosswords or some other amusement (cards, etc.). You will have a lot of time on your hands at the notary offices, etc.
12) Comfortable walking shoes that are stylish and are black or brown. I covet Colleen's Dansko patent leather clogs. My flats are so disgusting right now they are going in the trash before we leave. My black Aerosole boots are okay, but the uneven pavement here has been a killer with even the slightest heel.
13) Some spices (other than dill). I brought red pepper, cumin and oregano.
[Phil]
I think all of those suggestions are great. I would add an ipod and ipod speakers. Being able to hear music from home is unquantifiable. It's kept me sane (so far).
So Kostya is coming tomorrow tobasically touch base with us before our big week next week. Tomorrow is day 9 of our 10-day waiting period in which the prosecutor or other concerned party can appeal our judge's decision. Thus, tomorrow at 5PM, Ana will esentially be our daughter. It won't really be official until Monday when we get her birth certificate, but for all intents and purposes, tomorrow is the last day of our wait.
Once again this was a day that I spent most of my time in the apartment working on a translation, but I did accompany Robin and Colleen to the evening orphanage visit. I'm glad I did, because one of our favorite caregivers (Lydia Alexandrovna) was there, and I also got to play a good hour of soccer with a potential great futbalist named Nikita. We had a great time, and it reminded me of playing catch or shooting hoops with my dad in the backyard until it got too dark to see. It made me rethink my adamantly pro-girl stance. Meanwhile, Lydia Alexandrovna came over and said, "I think Papa should adopt a boy and Mama can have the girl." I laughed and said that we're not ready for 2 kids yet, but now I can finally see the appeal of a son. I could tell that just spending time kicking the ball with Nikita was just so anaomolous to his daily life (and mine too!), so I think both of us got a lot out of it. If any of you want to adopt a athletic but sensitive 4 year-old soccer player from Southeastern Ukraine, let us know. We'll fast-track you, if we can.
[Robin]
The boys love Phil. They were so thrilled to get attention from him. When he juggled the ball from one foot to the other and then kicked it with his knee back to them, they squealed with delight. Ana was very content to sit on my lap and make things out of playdoh while all this went on in the background. She's a gymnast (the next Olga Korbut), not a soccer player :) Seriously, none of these kids should be lacking a home. They are so sweet--they like hugs, being chased and are so amazed at just the most regular things. When a plane was crossing the sky leaving a vapor trail they all pointed up excitedly and were jumping up and down.
I spoke to Carmen tonight and it is getting really exciting to talk about "when we get back". I am so looking forward to the Day of the Dead fundraiser for Kidzu. Tina's museum for kids needs its own space. Then I want to get them to be the "sister" property for the kids at the orphange here in Kramatorsk. I can just see kids from Chapel Hill, Carrboro bundling up toys and clothes for the orphans here (or maybe just fundraisers, they might need some new playground equipment soon since it gets so much use!).
[Phil]
Thanks to eveyone for the comments and emails. We especially enjoy the emails about daily life back home, neighborhood gossip, nights out, etc., i.e., all the things we're missing here, so please feel free to email us about such minutiae.
-P.
5 comments:
Happy adoption day to Ana,
Happy adoption day to Ana,
Happy adoption day dear Ana,
Happy adoption day to Ana!
Big hugs on a happy day for everyone.
-Susan
p.s. Local gossip of the day: I am emailing you info RE: Flying Burrito - the short story is that the owner (for the past 20 yrs) has sold it, but the new owners plan to reopen as pretty much the same restaurant after a renovation.
Thank you for the packing list - I'll definitely use it for my trip next month!
Great idea about the playground equipment fundraiser. I would be happy to help with that. We're all (Lola too!) so excited about your homecoming. Kids are already picking out toys to give Ana and talking about sleepovers. Madigan can't wait to share all her dress-up clothes that's for "little kids". My preteen daughter at 7! Looking forward to having Ana have her first Halloween too!
YEAH! We are waiting with open arms and are excited to schedule play dates as soon as you are all ready - Sylvia is very nuturing - and I imagine that Ana will look forward to being around children - even if they speak this funny language - we are ready to throw you a party so let us know when- we can't wait to meet her - good luck with everything - I know the next couple days of traveling is going to be hard - trust your instincts and do whatever to get through the difficult parts - we are all here for you when you return - love and kisses - Melany and Matt
We have sent our dossier to Ukraine. I have enjoyed reading your blog and was wondering if you would answer a few questions? My email is jane.murray-todd@usoncology.com
Your daughter is beautiful.
Post a Comment