



2. Ana and I walking near the Ukrainian History Museum
3. Ana in her new Pooh-Bear stroller
4. Robbin, Ana, and Colleen at the Uzbek restaurant
5. "Hello, can Ana come to the phone?"
[Phil]
Once again, Robin is taking one for the team by lying down to sleep with Ana while I update the blog. Unlike the past 2 nights, however, Ana put on her pajamas and got in bed with no complaints whatsoever. Things are getting easier. In fact, as the title of this post suggests, our lives (and backs) were much relieved by the purchase today of a stroller. We hadn't wanted to buy one in Kramatorsk, and over the past couple of days we have really regretted that decision! When we couldn't find a suitable stroller at the Central Department Store yesterday, we thought that all was lost, but today Robin managed (thanks to Colleen!) to find one for around $50 here in Kiev. I'll let her tell the story tomorrow.
In other news, I picked up our tickets from the Aerosvit office today (only a 20-minute wait), so we're on schedule to return on Sunday.
Today flew by pretty fast. This morning, we tried to feed Ana some scrambled eggs and a glass of milk, but she had no interest in either. We then decided (mostly for our sake) to go to the cafe on the corner and try to get a pastry and some tea (and cappucino for Mama). Ana really liked the hot tea and the banana that we ordered but had no interest in the croissant. We then played on the giant slide set behind the apartment (see photo above) before meeting Colleen and her friend Margaret at, of course, Le Borsch. We got there first, and I was happy to see that our favorite waitress was there. When she saw Ana, she was very surprised (in a good way). For lunch, Ana had mashed potatoes (which Konstantin says is an orphanage staple) and some solyanka soup (basically a vegetable/beef soup), which she devoured.
Tonight we had a great time going out to dinner at an Uzbek restaurant with Coleen, Margaret, and Konstantin. It was Konstantin's first meeting with Ana, but I could tell that she immediately liked him. She's a very good judge of people.
There's so much more I could probably write, but I'm a) tired and b) know that Robin would like to write some things tomorrow. So for now, I'll sign off.
-Phil

5 comments:
Important news alert!!!
UNC Ranked No. 1 in Basketball by Coaches
North Carolina is ranked No. 1, Duke No. 11 and N.C. State No. 24 in the first men's basketball coaches' poll, released Friday by USA Today and ESPN.
Cheers!
-Susan
Like so many other "followers", I am terribly impressed with what you two, make that THREE, have gone through - with grace, humor, optimism, and lord knows tons of patience. It's wonderful to hear that you'll be home as a family in just 2 days. In case you haven't heard, the drought entered the "exceptional" category here in NC (and most of the SE), and Gov. Easley called for residents to reduce their water consumption by 50% by Oct. 31. Wow, that won't be easy! Thank the heavens, it's been raining farily solidly the last 3 days - like some surreal kind of dream - and I believe we've gotten over 2 inches. Bolin Creek floweth again! It's been scary. But this will be the least of your concerns, I imagine. I wish you a speedy, safe journey home. We cannot wait to welcome you back (even if it takes a while before Ana gets around to meeting her extended circle of friends). We'll be thinking of you all weekend, and beyond. Love, Cara (et al)
In case I don't get to my pc again this weekend, I just want to wish you bon voyages and a safe flight HOME. It will be great to hear how that new adventure goes, too.
Enjoy the last few days there.
Kevin
Ana is so cute! I have enjoyed watching your journey- and wish you al the best of luck together! Safe home...and, Enjoy!!
Thanks for posting the extra pics. of Dasha for my friends.
Shauna
I've so enjoyed following your story! You are parents now - how wonderful. We all can't to meet Ana! Have safe travels home. NC is looking greener for the first time in months after 3 wonderful days of rain.
Celeste
Post a Comment