


1. Ana and her cousin play the fishing game
2. Princess dress with crown and magic wand
3. Ana peeking around the corner with baby and stroller
[Phil]
Yes, we are finally back home with Ana. Yesterday was crazy, but I'll let Robin write about that some other time. I'm working on maybe 4 hours of sleep as it is, so I'll keep it brief. Since returning. we've had some wonderful visits from Ana's new Aunts and Cousins, as well as her Grandmother ("Baba" in Russian) and future Godparents. I was afraid that the excitement and number of new faces speaking a strange language would freak her out, but she's actually done remarkably well. I would say 3 highlights of Ana's day were 1) the princess costume that has been passed down the Wiegerink line; 2) her immediate affection for her older cousin, who we hope will become a regular babysitter and mentor :-); and 3) the many toys brought over tonight by Bill and Lia, especially the doll-baby in the stroller.
Our phone situation is still pretty fouled up, so please call our home number if you have it. The first person to call us today was my former colleague Judy, and it was great to hear her voice. She's been following our blog the whole time. I know there are other friends and family out there checking for updates, and we're really touched by your interest.
Tomorrow Robin travels to DC for a meeting, so it will just be me, Ana, Baba, and Lola. Please think good thoughts for us. I have no idea what to do without Mama!
-Phil
8 comments:
I am SOOO happy to read your update! And the pictures of Ana at home made my heart smile.
It's just not the same without you guys here (I'm being selfish, of course) - but, I couldn't be happier for you & Ana.
I'm waiting for the travel recap, as I heard there may have been some challenges?
Keep the blog updates coming, otherwise I'll be forced to start making international calls to get the latest : )
Love,
Colleen
Hurrah, you're home! And Ana looks very much at ease in her new surroundings. Let me know what you need.
Big hug! (soon they won't need to be virtual hugs anymore!)
-Susan
Congratulations!!! Welcome back home with Ana.
Hi - first of all, congratulations and thank you so very much for your wonderful blog... my husband, I, and our 1 year old son are in the process of adopting from the Ukraine. We are using an agency, St. Mary's in NC, but I would be very interested in any candid guidance, suggestions for travel, etc. that you might have. Knowing that your plate is very full right now :-)... please email us when/if you have a moment and are comfortable doing so.
One quick question, you mentioned speaking Russian in your blog... we were considering learning Ukrainian (Tom, my husband, already speaks a bit of Russian). Did you get a feel for how much of the country still speaks Russian? Is is mainstream? Since we won't know in advance the region to which we'll be traveling, just wondered if we could get by with Russian or should spend the time on some Ukrainian.
Best wishes to you guys and Ana - congratulations!
Kristi Moody-Schaefer
moodyschaefer@comcast.net
I'm glad you are home and I'm sure you will be surprised at how quickly Ana will settle in, she looks extremely happy. This is all very new to her, I cannot imagine how I would feel in the same position. Daniel and Maggie adjusted very well. Daniel was 6 and had never been anywhere but the orphanage, so everything was a first for him. Hope you coped as a single parent!!!!
I emailed Kristi personally, but for the rest of you that might be interested in the Ukrainian/Russian thing, I thought I should leave a public comment:
My experience was that Russian was far more helpful, but we were never in the small part of Ukraine where Ukrainian is predominant. And I think there (the western part), people probably speak both languages. So if you have to learn just one, Russian is your safest bet.
I'm having withdraw pains waiting for an update : )
Throw us a bone!
A pic.
Something!?!
Working on it right now! :-)
-Phil
Post a Comment