Monday, October 8, 2007

On the Eve






[Phil]
Tomorrow we have our hearing at noon. That will be 5 AM in the US. I hope it won’t take longer than an hour, so hopefully we’ll have some good news for you by the time you wake up tomorrow. We remain optimistic.
Today we tried to just relax. It was the first real blustery, Autumnal day here, and I think everyone wanted to be indoors. We had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel and then got to the orphanage around 11:15. We started playing with Ana and Dasha, but within about half an hour they called them back to the building for lunch. This was probably a good thing, since babysitting the both of them can be very tiring.

[Robin]
We walked to a nearby outdoor market before lunch. We spent some time looking around the various stalls. Only about half of the kiosks were open, mostly selling canned foods and fresh vegetables. We were thinking about buying Ana a little purse since she was so enamored with mine. Instead, we spotted a Winnie the Pooh backpack and decided that this would be better and could hold her various toys to boot. We bought it along with another toy (a rewritable pad--you can write on this pad with this fake pen and then erase it with a sweep of a button. We don’t know what this is called.)
We had lunch at the pizza place and added to our food repertoire by adding peppers to the pizza toppings order. These little changes keep things exciting—ha, ha.
We spent the rest of the afternoon buying groceries, getting pictures developed and adding more battery power to our digital camera. Phil had to go back to the electronics section of the mall to find the same staff person that had helped us before. His under the table maneuvers consisted of a head nod, the passing of the camera and later a slyly folded and passed 20 hrivnya note. Phil said he felt like a spy. It was a hilariously top-secret exchange.

[Phil]
Yeah, they have numerous people just standing around watching everything, so I felt extremely awkward. In any case, he did recharge it, so now we can take even more pictures of Ana, signs, statues, and food.
One thing Robin wanted me to mention on this slow news night: When we were at the Big Market the other day, we found a great toy kiosk. They had a ton of balloons, including the long, skinny ones you use to make balloon sculptures. These are always a hit at the orphanage, so I asked the shopkeeper for 20 of them. She said that she only had two left at the moment and that in any case you have to have a special pump for them. I said, "Oh, we have a pump. I’ll take the two that you have left." I mean, doesn’t everyone have a balloon animal pump?!

[Robin]
Yeah, we giggled about answer all the way home. Who just happens to be carrying around a balloon pump in their small messenger bag?
I spoke to my sister, Tina, on the phone this afternoon, and it was so great to hear about what has been going on and to talk about some of the stuff we can’t get into detail on in the postings. A special "yay" goes out to my HBC group—glad everyone finished the race successfully. I wish I could have been there (not necessarily for the running part, but for the camaraderie. I miss our Saturday runs and gossip!).
When we went to the orphanage this evening, we picked Ana up in the upstairs playroom. She had to get dressed in her "outdoor" clothes to go the playground with us. She was wearing some of the tights that we bought her and then specifically requested to wear the sweater we also bought her. Made me smile.
We tried to keep away from the other kids and play with Dasha and Ana in a separate area. It is really hard to not feel guilty when we are showering these new toys and clothes on Ana in front of the other little kids. They watch everyone’s movement like a hawk and get really agitated when they are missing out on anything. There have already been enough spilled tears over the balloons.
This evening we met our Kramatorsk facilitator for dinner at a Ukrainian restaurant across from the orphanage. The service took so long that we started to question and then laugh about whose meal was requiring the slaughtering of an animal or the hunting for mushrooms in the nearby park, etc. I ordered chicken in nut sauce, so maybe they were out gathering nuts. Fortunately, it was quite tasty (Bill, I know you love that word!) when it finally arrived.

[Phil]
That’s all for tonight. We’ll post again tomorrow as soon as possible after our hearing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll set my alarm for 5 a.m. and say a prayer for you guys!

Love,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I love today's pictures. Tonight, we will dream of a wonderful future for the three of you to remain together. And when we wake up, it will be a reality. I can't wait to go to sleep so that we can all wake up and read the good news on your blog! Stay positive, stay strong.
Fingers crossed and big BIG hugs for Robin, Phil, and Ana.
-Susan (and Paul)

Anonymous said...

Fingers and toes crossed for y'all! I've been following the blog when I can steal a moment and am so hopeful for you guys.

Wishing you all the best!
Beck (and Leland)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Hoping that everything goes smoothly and you can bring Ana home soon.

xo
S

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers tonight!

Love
Kurt and Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi- some friends of mine adopted from the same orphanage as you, and they mentioned Dasha several times! There were quite taken with her! I looked back in their photos, and it is the same Dasha! They will be quite happy to hear she is being adopted. Can you please post a better picture of Dasha, so they can see her? Their little boy was named was Sergei, now called Daniel. Same age, 7.
I sent my friend an e-mail letting her know, and gave her your website address.

Good luck with the Hearing, btw!! I guess you'll be nervous and excited at the same time! I can't imagine!! Ana is very cute and very personable!! Enjoy!

Shauna

Anonymous said...

Magna Doodle - that's what the little writing/drawing pad is called! All kids must have one. .

We're sending good energy. . .

Celeste et al.

Anonymous said...

You are both in our every thought and prayer and tons of postive energy coming your way. Hold tight the precious image of the three of you together tomorrow. With all our love. Dad and Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh-my-gosh. I don't know where to begin . . . I am SO thrilled, excited, happy, nervous for you and grateful for the detailed blogs you've been writing. I finally got with the program (!) after receiving your blog url from Melany yesterday. I spent a few hours reading everything and pouring over the pictures last night. Going from laughter to tears within minutes and sometimes seconds of each other. But enough about me! You two are going through something so amazing. It's true what someone posted about you condensing a pregnancy and 1st 4 years all into a tiny little super intense period. It's hard to imagine what you've gone/are going through, but it's wonderful how you've kept your friends and loved ones updated. It's just wonderful. She's meant for you - so many signs confirm that! She's adorable, beautiful, brave, fun, sharing - I mean, what more could you want in a child? I'm on the edge of my office seat this morning, hoping to hear your good news any minute. I'm so happy for you I could burst like one of your animal balloons. Much love to you three!!!!!!! We can't wait to embrace little Ana into our world here across the ocean.

-Cara/Danny/Nico/Nadine

Phil and Robin said...

Shauna,

We'll definitely post a better photo of Dasha. We have tons of them!

tHANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS, EVERYONE. wE LOVE YOU GUYS!