



1. Ana and Mama Oksana (as photographed by Dasha)
2. Playing with baloon
3. All alone at the Chinese restaurant
4. Future Flying Wallenda
5. The outdoor market near the courthouse
[Robin]
We are back in our hotel room watching some National Geographic TV show about hammerhead sharks (English translated into Russian). We are seriously hurting for some entertainment. We just got off the phone with Carmen and it felt so good to talk about the Day of the Dead fundraiser for Kidzu rather than the adoption process. I am looking forward to going back to my "real" life.
[Robin]
We are back in our hotel room watching some National Geographic TV show about hammerhead sharks (English translated into Russian). We are seriously hurting for some entertainment. We just got off the phone with Carmen and it felt so good to talk about the Day of the Dead fundraiser for Kidzu rather than the adoption process. I am looking forward to going back to my "real" life.
We spent the afternoon at the orphanage. We spent most of our time outside pushing Dasha and Ana ‘round and ‘round on a carousel. The older kids had all requested some more balloons, so Phil blew a bunch of them up and distributed them, to their delight. They spent the rest of the time pushing the balloons up in the air and then catching them as they descended. They are really sweet and it is amazing how much these little things can make them happy. Dasha is also really a hoot and we played with her and Ana with modeling clay and made plates of clay "food". We spent time instructing both of them how to say different items in Russian and English, which Dasha really got a kick out of.
When we got back to the hotel, the couple from Spain was in the lobby and we were so excited to see them before they left the country. We hugged and wished each other good luck. We were so happy for them; they are going home with their little boy.
Tonight we received a call from our facilitator and although things are still not finalized, we have some hope that the sister may allow things to be resolved this week. We are grateful to even have a little good news. We are going back to Ana’s hometown on Wednesday to talk to her sister in person.
On a lighter note, did anyone read the post by Natalya? The "stern" woman in the Skating with the Stars is a very famous ice skating teacher. We can’t wait to find out who the other contestants are!
[Phil]
Yes, Natalya, can you tell us who the contestants are or provide a link? It seems like the audience and the judges are overly forgiving to the ex-athletes and the older contestants. And then there’s that one judge whose SON is actually one of the contestants! How did that happen?! We need an expert in Russian pop culture to tell us who these people are and who we should root for.
Okay, we’re off to find the mythical Chinese restaurant in Kramatorsk that we have heard about but have never seen. Apparently it’s on "Prospekt Mira" and is not too far from the giant Lenin statue, which is only a couple of blocks from our hotel. We would pay about any price to have some spicy food at this point!
[Tuesday afternoon]
[Phil]
The Chinese restaurant wasn’t too bad, but we were the ONLY people there. We felt a little uncomfortable, especially since there were two waitresses waiting on us. I guess they were bored. We also got upsold a LITER of hot & sour soup. We had enough left over to share with the entire readership of this blog.
We talked to our facilitator today, and he is encouraged about our trip tomorrow. Hopefully the sister will see the bond that Ana already has with Robin. There is no doubt that she considers her her mother. In any case, we are feeling more optimistic than we have in a long time, but keep those candles burning! I will not consider the adoption complete until we are wheels-up on the airplane back home.
Robin has just returned from her shower. The hot water supply is very unpredictable, so you have to seize the opportunity when it arises. I’ll let he describe our trip to the photographer’s studio with Ana this morning.
[Robin]
We went to the orphanage this morning to meet Kostya and found out we needed to take Ana to the photography studio to get her picture taken for her passport (yes, we loved the sound of that!). A representative from the orphanage had to come with us, and so the really nice secretary hopped in a cab with us. It was pretty funny seeing Phil (with his knees scrunched up to his chest), the secretary, Ana, and me all in the back seat. We looked like we were ready for a Chinese firedrill. When we got to the studio Ana wasn’t at all shy about getting her picture taken -- she moved her head around based on what the photographer told her and kind of posed. She’s a ham. When it was finished, she stood with her little hand and foot cocked like a fashion model. The Secretary and I laughed. We didn’t need to go back to the orphanage, so we proceeded to try to put Ana in the car with the secretary and send them off. Ana started to tear up and really didn’t want us to leave her, so we all hopped back in the cab to take her back. We are such softies.
We are now going to get some pictures developed in hopes that we could give these to the sister tomorrow. We both have major butterflies thinking about the meeting. We really hope that it goes well; I guess that goes without saying. We have no idea what it will be like, but I’m really hoping that she asks us questions about how we would care for Ana rather than sit silently and just look at us. It’s unbelievable that we will be traveling in the very same minivan with the same driver, but this time with Ana and a representative from the orphanage along with us. We bought Ana some toys at an outdoor market near here for the long car ride. We also finally got her size(s) and bought her some new tights (yes, Barb, they are very cute!). The outdoor market was the place to be; lots of people were shopping at the various kiosks for everything from detergent to sausages to toys to shovels. It was very similar to the markets in Mexico, except no one was cooking food.
[Phil]
Thanks again for all the comments. We’ll try to check in one more time after the late afternoon visit. By the way, the Ukrainian couple that is going to adopt Dasha was at the orphanage. She was so excited, and had on a cute purple dress. The orphanage secretary came by and told Dasha that her father is really good-looking. The same can be said of the secretary! Spott, we’ll try to bring her home with us as well.

16 comments:
I think someone will be needing to buy a swing! I'm missing you guys, but love to see you so happy with the kids.. It looks like so much fun. We'll be praying double time your time tomorrow.
PS- I absolutely love what Karsten said!!
Love, Helen
I have to ask my Ukrainian friends about the Skating contestants :) I just recognized Tatiana Tarasova from the picture since she was often on TV when I was growing up. I found a link to Wikipedia page in Russian about this show:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B2%D1%91%D0%B7%D0%B4%D1%8B_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B4%D1%83_(%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%BE%D1%83)
The link seems weird, but it actually works. I'm not sure it's this year or last year season.
Good luck meeting with Ana's sister, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Maybe you should take a small gift for her to break the ice?
Good luck with your trip! I hope it goes well. We're rooting for (all of) you!
Hilary
Good luck with your meeting tomorrow - fingers crossed (hard to type this way...). Enjoy your first full day with Ana, your first roadtrip with Ana, the first of many more firsts to come with Ana. Although scary, your meeting with Ana's sister will provide answers to some of your many questions about her history and family, and will likely answer Ana's sister's prayers that Ana be loved and well-cared for. Stay strong and optimistic!
Big hugs!
-Susan
We check your blog many times a day and we are holding our breathe with you - she is so adorable - I feel like we are getting to know Ana already - good luck on the visit with her sister - you are in our thoughts - Melany and Matt
Just read the last three installments (had a busy weekend and each time I thought to go online....someone else was playing a computer game or doing homework).
Sounds like some lovely fall weather to enjoy and traipse around town in. It's fun looking at all our pictures and getting a feeling about what your days are like. We continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way.
Hope your trip is highly successful!
Love Suzi, Joel, Chris and Julia
I agree with Nataliya and think it would be a great idea to buy the sister a gift. Do they have Prada bags over there? Glad you got some new tights for Ana..ms. barb wants to go shopping soon so I hope all goes well tomorrow. Nervous but confident in humankind. I am shopping downtown on Friday so would love a good reason to buy a cute little girl outfit at Nordstrom! I love checking the blog and I am thankful for technology everyday! I am teaching Charlie to say "Welcome home Ana" but need to know how to teach him in Russian so I will need some help Phil.
Love to both of you and everyone on this Blog needs to root for the Cubs and hope that my Cubbies beat the Diamondbacks! GO CUBS AND GO ROBIN, PHIL AND ANA!! Love you...
Barb
Good luck!
Fingers crossed in Austin.
xoxo
sarah
Best of luck, Phil and Robin! I'm really enjoying your blog.Lydia
I pray that Ana's sister realizes that letting you adopt her is the best thing for Ana. I can't imagine how hard this is for everyone. I hope we hear some good news from you tomorrow.
Cathie
I'm praying that today is the day that all doubts disappear and you can truly begin making plans for your new little family! We're all following the blog and pulling for you every day!
Hi Robin,
Petter and I are following your blog. We are so excited for you guys. We will keep our fingers crossed on this side of the pond too:)
Meridith
Steve and I will be thinking about you and sending good thoughts for your meeting with Ana's sister; that she will see what lovely people you both are and that you can give Ana a future full of love, fun and family.
-Dawn
Hi guys
Just to let you know I'm also looking in frequently and with bated breath, and glad that all seems to be going positively.
We enjoyed the DaVinci! If you have time go to the beauty shop nearby and get a pedicure and manicure- they were two and three dollars! I even got my hair done for 10$. I heard they had a massage and facial but she was "booked"
Enjoy your beautiful daughter
By the way I wanted to note that if you have any questions about the CP repair we adopted our daughter with unrepaired CL/CP in April 2006 and she is doing amazing! Feel free to email us at boomerseyler@yahoo.com. There is an adopt cleft yahoo group with TONS of information if you would like the addy,
Leanna
Post a Comment