

Photos: Celebrating at the pizza place.
[Phil]
First the good news. No, actually there’s only good news: We won custody of Ana today after a grueling hour-long hearing. After the judgment was announced, I asked for the judge to waive the 10-day waiting period due to Ana’s health issues, but she declined. So now we wait 10 calendar days, starting tomorrow, until the judgment is officially entered and we get to take Ana out of the orphanage. We are tremendously relieved and happy.
First the good news. No, actually there’s only good news: We won custody of Ana today after a grueling hour-long hearing. After the judgment was announced, I asked for the judge to waive the 10-day waiting period due to Ana’s health issues, but she declined. So now we wait 10 calendar days, starting tomorrow, until the judgment is officially entered and we get to take Ana out of the orphanage. We are tremendously relieved and happy.
[Robin]
The hearing was very nerve-wracking. They called all of us, one at a time, to stand and answer questions posed to us by the judge. Then they made us go outside while they deliberated. When the judge stated that she had granted us custody, I was in shock. I thought for sure she was going to state that she needed to delay the decision or get more notarized statements, etc. After the verdict, we all went out in the hall and there were hugs and tears all around. We then waited for some paperwork to be completed and went collectively over to the pizza place for a celebratory lunch. Phil had bought Nastya’s sister a cell phone this morning, and when he gave it to her on the way to the pizza place the look of joy and amazement on her face was priceless.
[Phil]
Lord, if anyone deserved a present, it was her. She held her ground against some very pointed questions from the judge. She continually insisted that she was not concerned for herself, but for the future of her sister. To make such a mature decision like that at 16 is amazing, especially considering her circumstances. Suffice it to say, we are going to hold some kind of fundraiser when we get back so that we can help her with her future college expenses. And of course we look forward to having her come visit us in the States.
In other good news, Colleen has been allowed to start the adoption process for both of her potential daughters. Sometimes the system does work.
[Robin]
Right now I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. We have to spend some more time here (when she denied our request for a waiver of the 10 days, the judge suggested that we enjoy the Fall weather….), but I’m sure that it will feel different now that we don’t have this trial hanging over our heads. Hallelujah…..sound the church bells! We can’t wait to bring Ana home to see all her many loving supporters.
[Phil]
Okay, we’ll go ahead and post this, because I’m sure some of you are wondering why it’s taken so long. Bye for now.
28 comments:
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're so thrilled that you got your wish after all you have been through. Ana, you are one very lucky little girl. We cannot wait to get to know you and welcome you into a very extended circle of family and friends. love, Cara et al.
My last post had a spelling error due to excitement!
We are all so happy for you here. Can't wait to hear all the details when you get home. Looking forward to welcoming all of you home.
Hilary
Congratulations! I'm very happy for all of you. I can't wait to meet Ana. Enjoy the next few days and we look forward to seeing all of you soon.
mad
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you! I can imagine how good it feels right now!
It's so nice of you to think about Ana's sister, it would be so great to keep in touch with her after you get home.
Hope you get the passport, birth certificate and visa VERY FAST so you can bring your precious daughter home soon!
Congrats!
-Jessica
Joyous news! So happy for you all!
Nancy
Congratulations! That's wonderful news. Looking forward to meeting Ana.
Laura
Thank you for sharing your personal stories/battles with us.
We can't wait to meet Ana!
Erin and Kurt
Congrats!
Congratulations on your wonderful news! Ana is so lucky to have you as her new family. I am so happy for you three! I'm sure Lola is wagging her tail in excited anticipation to meet the new addition to her family (as are we - excited that is, no tail wagging at my desk...just bouncing around in glee). :)
Big hug!
-Susan
To: Mommy and Daddy
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
-Shannon
YEAH!!! Tears are streaming! So so happy for you - you are parents! And Ana is the luckiest little girl in the world - you both are amazing people and we can't wait to share raising our children together - Melany and Matt
YAH!!
Was thinking about you guys this morning as I boarded the hate train to Boston...
We are so happy for you!!!!!! Congrats and hurry home.
MUCHA ALEGRIA!
xoxoxo to all three!
Papa and Grandmommy
yay!!! bring that girl home!
xoxo,
spott
I don't know where my earlier post went but it was something like this..
I think "Aunt Helen" sounds pretty good! :) Can't wait to meet both of them, and have you home!
XOXOX
Fantastic news, guys.
Well done on keeping it all together so nicely, keeping your eyes on the prize.
Enjoy the next 10 days, you have none of the concerns of the past phase. And get your heads around the next phase, which I know will be a wonderful adventure for all of you.
Congratulations!
The best, the best
Kevin
What a huge relief! Maybe you'll be home in time for Ana's first Halloween. She can dress up like a princess.
We're home at Christmas and would love to see you all.
xo
S
Whoopee!! Hope the next ten days go very quickly for you!
Suzi
I can't wait to tell the rest of my little family later today!!
Get home soon! I am so happy. Mark said I could send the outfits but to hold off on the plane ticket until you know exactly when you are coming home. I was already packing of course.
One out fit is a mini-Robin out fit(pink and red) and the other a mini-Barb out fit (guess what...it's black velvet and soooo cute)
Congratulations you two and Ana!
Big kisses and lots of hugs,
Barb
Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more when you get back - but glad everything worked out perfectly!
Enjoy the Fall weather for all of us, it's still Summertime over here (in the 90's today.)
glenn
This is terrific news. I am so very happy for all of you.
Ashley
Congratulations, Phil & Robin!!! We have been following your blog praying for the positve decision. Good news! We are so happy for all three of you! Let your eyes continue to sparkle with joy.
Oleg et al.
Congratulations, you must be so excited. We adopted our first son from Kherson on Oct 9, 2001. We adopted 2 children from Kramatorsk in 2006, our son was in Dasha's group. We fell in love with her, she is such a sweet girl. I am so happy to hear she is being adopted. I just found out a few weeks ago that she was going to be eligible for adoption, we were seriously considering adopting her, but we have 3 Ukrainian children already. If you have any further news on her adoption, or any pictures of her, could you please send them to me at jmchowat@yahoo.com
I hope you are home soon. Your new daughter is beautiful
Robin and Phil.
Congratulations!!!!! Ana's such a pretty girl. Glad it's working out good for you. Enjoy your 10 day wait.
Robb and Jill
Congrats!
Ana is such a lucky girl! You guys must be smiling from the inside out. Enjoy the time you have left, it will fly by.
Rick
We are so happy for you - can't wait to meet your new addition to your family! Love,Denise,Carl,Owen+Elias
Yay! That's awesome news!!
I'm looking forward to meeting Anastasia Caroline one of these days
Post a Comment